Mandela day: What it means to South Africans:
The Mandela Day campaign message is simple: Nelson Mandela gave 67 years of his life fighting for the rights of humanity. The aim is that everyone gives 67 minutes of their time, whether it’s supporting your chosen charity or serving your local community.
Mandela Day is a call to action for individuals – for people everywhere – to take responsibility for changing the world into a better place, one small step at a time, just as Mr Mandela did.
How could you get involved?
Whether as an individual, community, business, or non-governmental organisation (NGO), all you have to do on July 18 is donate 67 minutes of your day to doing something good in any way you can.
Nelson Mandela gave 67 years of his life to the struggle for social justice. Can you spare 67 minutes of yours to support a charity or serve your local community?
In honour of his birthday here is our top ten list of Inspirational Nelson Mandela quotes:
1. “The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
2. “If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner.”
3. “As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
4. “There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.”
5. “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
6. “No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”
7. “For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.”
8. “A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.”
9. “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
10. “It always seems impossible until it’s done.”
Happy birthday Madiba! What will you be doiong with your 67 minutes?